Multi-Country Western Pacific Global Fund: Malaria Project
Sustaining Universal Coverage of Long Lasting Insecticide treated Nets in Vanuatu
With the ongoing contributions from the Global Fund Programme, Vanuatu will continue to sustain universal coverage of Long Lasting Insecticide treated Nets (LLINs) throughout the country to continue efforts for the prevention of malaria. The US$2.6 million project will provide replacement LLINs to all households and strengthen monitoring and supervision of the malaria project. By December 2017, over 220,000 LLINs will be distributed to households and schools.
Resilience-building is a key element of UNDP’s work in countries where it acts as interim principal recipient of funding from the Global Fund since July 2015 to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis (TB) and Malaria.
The Vanuatu health sector face challenging operating environments. UNDP provided extensive implementation support services that were complemented by longer-term capacity building and included strengthening financial and risk management, procurement systems for health commodities, monitoring and evaluation, training and health governance mechanisms. UNDP was also able to leverage its in-country policy capacity to improve the overall quality of Global Fund-financed projects.
- Long Lasting Insecticide treated Nets procurement and distribution to household level – 222,870 as per Vanuatu LLIN Distribution Plan, including LLIN awareness raising materials
- Support to the national and sub-national Malaria Control Personnel – eight staff at national and provincial level
- National and sub-national monitoring and evaluation/supervision visits – including annual supervision plans and at least six monthly monitoring/supervision visits
- Annual SMS messaging campaigns – pre, during and post LLIN distribution
- 2017 Malaria Indicator Survey
- Strengthening national programme and operational capacity
|LLIN Procurement and Distribution||$1,353,421|
|National/Provincial Malaria Staff||$250,631|
|LLIN Distribution Campaign Messaging||$66,861|
|Malaria Indicator Survey||$245,506|
|Monitoring and Supervision||$34,966|
|Project Management including SR Project Management Costs||$644,894|
- 38,211 long-lasting insecticide treated bed nets (LLINs) were distributed to at-risk population in Vanuatu.
- Zero Malaria Deaths reported in 2015
(From left) Russel Tamata - UNDP GF Coordinator, George Taleo - Director General for Vanuatu Health, Barkhodir Burkhanov - UNDP Pacific Office in Fiji Country Director, Osnat Lubrani - UN Resident Coordinator, Hon. Toara Danierl - Vanuatu Minister for Health