Tonga’s Enabling Activities for the Preparation of the Third National Communication to the UNFCCC
The proposed project will enable the Kingdom of Tonga prepare its Third National Communication to the Conference of the Parties of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change. The activities within the Third National Communication are a continuation and update of the work done by Tonga to prepare its Second National Communication (SNC). The main components of the project are:
- National inventory of GHG emissions and removals,
- Programmes containing measures to facilitate adequate adaptation to, and mitigation of climate change, and
- Any other information considered relevant for the achievement of the objectives of the UNFCCC.
The project will further strengthen the national capacities and will further raise general knowledge and promote awareness on climate change and its effects. It will also strengthen the visibility of climate change issues on the national agenda through strengthened cooperation and increased involvement of all relevant stakeholders in the process. In addition, it will continue to strengthen and build national capacities for the effective implementation of the UNFCCC.
What are the Project’s goals?
- In accordance with Article 12, paragraph 1 of the UNFCCC, Tonga is required to provide information in their national communications.
- Environmental considerations integrated into national development policies, strategies, programmes and projects.
Who Finances it?
Global Environment Facility (GEF)
Total Budget: US$480,000
Project Delivery US$