Rebalancing nature, climate and economy
UNDP is supporting the Government with:
Food security through the Nauru Ridge to Reef Project that is working with communities to set up home gardening initiatives. This includes establishing nurseries and disbursing food seedlings that are climate resistant and training communities on how to manage gardens and of the various seedlings provided.
Climate Promise: enhancing and updating its Nationally Determined Contribution through five service lines:
- build political will and societal ownership at national and sub-national levels
- review, align, and update existing targets, policies and measures
- incorporate new sectors and/or greenhouse gases
- assess costs and investment opportunities and
- support communications and learning
Renewable energy and energy efficiency: The Supporting Mainstreamed Achievement of Roadmap Targets on Energy in Nauru or SMARTEN will enable Nauru to increase applications of feasible renewable energy and energy efficient technologies to support socio-economic development. This is in line with country’s energy roadmap targets. The project aims to strengthen energy policy and regulatory framework, support renewable energy and energy efficiency initiatives, promote renewable energy and energy efficient technologies applications, and improve the energy sector capacity.